PlanetDeusEx | Features | Fan Fiction | Ashes to Ashes | Chapter 3
Ashes to Ashes: Chapter 3

I hope you enjoyed the last chapter, because this one is the first interaction between the game and Ashes - things can only get better.  Don't forget to send me any feedback you might have, however small, that might improve my writing.  Y'all can send it here.  This chapter's a little longer than the previous two, and serves mostly to define John Murphy and his surroundings.  I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I can safely say that the action will heat up a little in the next chapter.  Also, this section of the story acts as a pause in plot - an elaboration, you might say, on the story.  But rest assured, for those of you who like a little more plot, Chapter 4 will provide it.  Until then, adieu, and enjoy.

Forsaken

How could he not have seen all that was going on around him?  UNATCO, the UN's fallibility and Eleanora all spun through his thoughts like a maelstrom whirlwind, leaving vast tracts of his mind filled with strange emotions and expressions.  He didn't know what he was going to do next.  All he knew right now, as he stepped off the helicopter landing pad at UNATCO HQ, was his anger.  Now the rage was building, building and flooding the valleys of his consciousness, threatening to break the walls of his self-imposed, false calm.

He forced himself to focus and stepped purposefully down the stairs to the blast doors, which slid open with a click and a hiss.  He strode across the polished floor, noticing only afterward that the guard behind the desk had said something.  He put it out of his mind, and followed the curved hallway to the security checkpoint.  The guard standing, watching behind the unbreakable glass spoke.

"Name?"

"Jonathan Murphy, Special Agent First Class."

"Thanks...  Your ID is already programmed in.  Just use the retinal scanner to your right.  Have a nice day, sir."

Murphy muttered something under his breath and stepped up to the scanner.  He put his eyes to it and the door opened.  As he walked through, he reflected that none of these people had any idea what they were really doing or who they were really working for.  They were just pawns in a giant game of chess.

The hallway beyond led to another small flight of steps and a wooden door.  He paused for a moment to collect himself and turned the handle.  Now he was in Headquarters proper, and the sudden recognition of the place from his dream shook him.  He walked unsteadily to the next stairs, turning right at the bottom, then left.

He fully expected to see a dead woman behind the desk.

However, there was none.  Instead, the secretary stood up, and said, "Welcome to Headquarters, Mr. Murphy - may I call you John?"

John stared at her.  "No."

The secretary - Janice Reed, Murphy now saw from her nameplate - was momentarily nonplussed.  "Er...  I'm sorry.  Mr. Manderly is waiting for you, Mr. Murphy."

"Thank you."  He turned brusquely to his left, opened the door and stalked into Manderly's office.  Seeing the man he had killed in his dream gave him a brief shock, but was overridden by his anger, which came flowing back like a tide.  This man was the source of his grief.  This man...

He felt the weight of his 9mm under his coat.  It would be so easy, so easy.  He could just -

"Agent Murphy!  I was getting worried there for a minute, that you wouldn't show up."

John had to force himself to speak civilly.  He shook hands with the man, feeling the disgust.  "I wouldn't miss it for the... world."  Not that I'd even want the world now, he thought.

"Well, good.  Good.  Now that you've checked in, I'll give you your materials.  Here's the address to your new apartment... and the key."  He handed Murphy a small package.  "Also in there is your locker combination and access keys to the complex."  He flashed Murphy a smile.  "Downstairs, you'll find Dr. Reyes, Sam Carter, and Alex Jacobson, our tech specialist.  Next door is the meeting and break room.  You'll be working in Alex's room, at the desk near the door.  Ask Janice for your login and password."  He rubbed his hands together.  "Okay, I'm done. I expect you'll be wanting to get to know your new surroundings."

No.  "Yes."

"Good.  If you need anything, I'm always here."  Murphy turned without another word and walked out.

Next


IGN.com | GameSpy | Comrade | Arena | FilePlanet | GameSpy Technology
TeamXbox | Planets | Vaults | VE3D | CheatsCodesGuides | GameStats | GamerMetrics
AskMen.com | Rotten Tomatoes | Direct2Drive | Green Pixels
By continuing past this page, and by your continued use of this site, you agree to be bound by and abide by the User Agreement.
Copyright 1996-2009, IGN Entertainment, Inc.   About Us | Support | Advertise | Privacy Policy | User Agreement Subscribe to RSS Feeds RSS Feeds
IGN's enterprise databases running Oracle, SQL and MySQL are professionally monitored and managed by Pythian Remote DBA.