PlanetDeusEx | Features | Fan Fiction | Decker Parkes | Chapter 5
Decker Parkes: Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

Harvey Franklin, the transit driver, laughed out loud and heartily, Young grinned as Harvey laughed at the story that he had just told him. Decker who was reading a novel, smiled secretly, as he tried to pretend he was not eavesdropping on the conversation. Everyone was feeling exhausted from the journey they had travelled, somehow Harvey had managed to slip through Customs and Excise even though he carried three illegal, hunted terrorists, wanted by the international authorities, in his lorry. Decker thanked god that the customs officer had a nicotine habit and was familiar with Harvey and his friends.

Harvey was a black man in his late fifties; he had short grey hair with a bald spot and receding hairline. His face that was once chubby and round had worn thin and lined with age, he had a scruffy stubbly beard, some stubble around his jaw and chin had grown long as he had missed or forgot to shave there. It reminded Decker that he needed to shave or trim his now fairly long beard. Every time Harvey laughed at one of Young’s stories, he showed of his crooked row of cigarette stained teeth, he chuckled and coughed in his deep Caribbean voice.

"...I’m tellin’ you Harv that’s what the stupid bitch said." Young said smirking like a Cheshire cat. Decker hated the way Wayne always shortened people’s names, Decker became Decks, Harvey became Harv. Young also gave people stupid nicknames, he always called Decker "old timer" and "gramps", and Decker detested this, as it reminded Decker of his age. Decker suddenly realised he was criticising again he seemed to always do this around Young, he did not know why, age had probably made Decker grumpy and too judgemental or maybe Decker secretly wished his was Young’s age again.

Decker and Young sat in the cab with driver, Harvey Franklin, whilst Erin slept on a small seat behind them. For miles they had been driven, past countless bare fields and farmland on the long straight stretch of dual carriageway. Every field was similar; the surroundings seemed to be on a repetitive movie reel playing over and over. Occasionally there would be a old neglected farmhouse, made of crumbling stone and dark brown roof with half the slate missing showing the naked wooden timbers or an old French oak tree, grey and rotting, occupying a single empty field, bare of leaves due to the winter. Decker thought France was similar to the open farmland of the American country. Young was chatting to the driver about sport, and who he, thought would win the National Football League, as Decker stared out at the boring, bland, featureless countryside.

Just as the blue and white road signs started to read Paris 10 kilometres the lorry indicated left and drove into a service station pulling in-between a group of similar transit lorries.

"This is as far as I can take you," said Harvey "The authorities are too strict around the capital and pull over every lorry to check for any passengers travelling illegally."

"Thanks for risking the journey, mate." Young said appreciative, shaking Harvey’s plump hands.

"No probs, bro. Good luck y’all."

Next


IGN.com | GameSpy | Comrade | Arena | FilePlanet | GameSpy Technology
TeamXbox | Planets | Vaults | VE3D | CheatsCodesGuides | GameStats | GamerMetrics
AskMen.com | Rotten Tomatoes | Direct2Drive | Green Pixels
By continuing past this page, and by your continued use of this site, you agree to be bound by and abide by the User Agreement.
Copyright 1996-2009, IGN Entertainment, Inc.   About Us | Support | Advertise | Privacy Policy | User Agreement Subscribe to RSS Feeds RSS Feeds
IGN's enterprise databases running Oracle, SQL and MySQL are professionally monitored and managed by Pythian Remote DBA.